food update

Gonna keep it real and light.

We've fallen in love with 5 rupee (10 cent) samosas on the street. For 20 or maybe 30 cents we're content.

This week I'm going to hit up some street fried chiicken and flavoured noodles.

Sundays after church we go to Au Bon Pain, a bakery and cafe, for the afternoon and read. This is another reason I like Sundays. (Sidebar: on this trip I've read "Tuesdays with Morrie" as I do every July, "First Phone Call From Heaven" (another by Mitch Albom), "My Gal Sunday" (Mary Higgins Clark), "Kite Runner" and am currently reading "The Book Thief".) This past Sunday I went a little nuts food-wise. I got a glass noodle salad that had chicken, peas and various fresh peppers and loved it. It's interesting to see how much I miss fresh. Just fresh. Then later (we were at the cafe from 11-6 or so) I got the breakfast platter: orange juice, a bagel toasted with butter, a fruit cup (SO exciting: papaya, watermelon and mango) and an incredible blueberry muffin. Again, to home this likely doesn't seem exciting but in India norms, this is revolutionary.

We continue to get very excited by boiled eggs and toast at breakfast. Again, sometimes it's the simple things.

We are going to buy pomegranates soon and figure out how to open them safely/cleanly. Let's be real, I'll probably resort to smashing them. Speaking of which, we bought Tropicana Pomegranate drinking boxes yesterday. Fab.U.Lous.

We went to Subway on Monday. I ordered a 6 inch and a garden salad. I don't know why I thought the garden salad would be prepared like at a Wendy's or something but this was a salad with subway toppings that I chose and put in a container instead of on bread. Still fresh and good. The sandwich was chicken and turkey. The chicken was like a chicken bologna: not my favourite.

In addition to cheap street food we also treat ourselves, as you can see. We've gone back to 8th day cafe and got their fabulous salads again. And...I got yogurt and granola. Both beyond fresh. Granola is made onsite and was warm. I also splurged and got a hazelnut cappuccino (the third time I've had coffee here) and the best shortbread cookie I've had since my grandma/cousin Erin's cookies. After a garden salad, with chicken, a hefty portion of granola and yogurt, favoured cappuccino and a fresh cookie my bill came to $15. Way more expensive than street food but you do need to fork out for hefty portions of freshness.

The additional beautiful part about 8th day cafe is the owner and his philosophy. That'll be another post, though. Right now it is time for breakfast.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

people we've met

adjusting

kalighat farewells